August 17, 2020
I regretfully have to retract the previous news bulletin titled “Beat the Heat at a Fourth District Cooling Center." Due to the State orders that restrict gatherings in response to COVID-19, there are currently no Cooling Centers open in Orange County at this time.
If Cooling Centers are allowed to reopen in Orange County, the information will be made available to 2-1-1 Orange County (211OC). To contact 211OC, please dial 2-1-1.
If dialing 2-1-1 does not work from your phone, you may also dial:
(888) 600-HELP ((888) 600-4357) toll free
(949) 646-HELP ((949) 646-4357) local
Or text your zip code to 898211.
As Cooling Centers are not available at this time, take precautions to prevent heat related illnesses, including:
- Drinking plenty of water; don’t wait until you are thirsty.
- Wearing light, loose-fitting clothing.
- Staying out of the sun if possible, and when in the sun wear a hat, preferably with a wide brim, and use sunscreen.
- Avoiding strenuous activities if you are outside or in non-air conditioned buildings. If you are working outdoors, take frequent rest and refreshment breaks in a shaded area.
- Never leaving children, elderly people or pets unattended in closed cars or other vehicles.
- Checking on those, like neighbors, who are at high risk to make sure they are staying cool – including seniors who live alone, people with heart or lung disease, and young children.
- Staying cool indoors.
Supervisor, Orange County Board of Supervisors