July 2, 2021
Happy Fourth of July, Fourth District! This Independence Day marks the 245th anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence and brings us new hope for the times ahead. As we celebrate the holiday with our friends and family, help us make this a safe Fourth of July for all by following these safety tips:
Fireworks Safety Tips
- For cities that allow fireworks, only allow Safe & Sane.
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks.
- Older children should only use them under close supervision.
- Never hold lighted fireworks in your hands.
- Never light fireworks indoors.
- Only use fireworks away from people, houses and flammable material.
- Soak both spent and unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding.
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don't go off or in the case of fire.
Fireworks Pet Safety Tips
- Bring your pets inside.
- Microchip & ID your pets.
- Provide a safe and secure space.
- Exercise early in the day.
Party Pet Safety Tips
- Keep alcohol and party foods out of paws reach.
- Keep charcoal, fireworks, sparklers and glow-sticks away from curious pets.
- Keep toxic chemicals away from pets such as insecticides, insect repellants and sunscreen.
- Watch out for leftover party favors and decorations that your pets may find.
- Establish boundaries and monitor the grill at all times.
Please see the flyers below for more information.
Supervisor, Orange County Board of Supervisors